What’s in store for the state of public transportation in New York City? With how fast things happen, it is hard to say.
What we do know is that 2009 is likely to be the most dramatic we’ve seen in decades. The MTA is litterally falling apart with over a billion dollars in budget deficits. Even the current talks of fare hikes are starting to be seen as only the first wave in hikes. By the end of the year (or even 2010), the fare increase could double.
The system continues crumble around us due to the bare bones maintenence done, and service cuts are to be expected.
One thing is for certain: SUBWAYblogger will be here to chronicle the insanity for the rest of us. Your contributions are always welcome.
So now it is time to take a look back at our most popular posts from 2008:
- New MTA Subway Fares: (March 2008) If you went to the MetroCard machine today to buy a new monthly card and felt an odd sensation in your rear, that was the MTA raping you.
- MIT Kids Please Come Hack Us: (November 2008) Apparently, some students at MIT made it a class project to hack the Boston subway system (aka the T). As a matter of fact, the title of the project is: “The Anatomy of a Subway Hack: Breaking Crypto RFIDs & Magstripes of Ticketing Systems.”
- Ads Promoting Islam on the Subway: (July 2008) Let the drama begin. Apparently this September, straphangers will see ads on the subway promoting Islam. (Oh nooo !!) How can we protect our children from these ads that will surely turn them into terrorists instantly?
- Man Falls on Tracks, Train Runs Over Him, Survives: (May 2008) An unidentified man fell onto the tracks today at Delancey Street while waiting for the F train. Luckily he fell in a way which allowed his body to fall into the cutout ditch between the rails. Lucky? Definitely, because an F train was just seconds away and ran over his body.
- It’s Baaaaack. Congestion Pricing.: (August 2008) Just when you thought congestion pricing was dead, a weak heartbeat is heard. In light of the abolutely astonishing deficit facing the MTA next year, the state is starting to get desperate in it’s search for funds. Let’s back up and review.
- Jumper DOA at 49th Street on the N Train: (February 2008) There are reports this morning that there was a person under a train that was dead on arrival at the 49th Street stop on the N train.
- The Most Disgusting thing I’ve Ever Seen: (July 2008) So I’ve seen a lot of gross stuff happen, especially in the subway. Gross, smelly, oozing homeless feet. Fat, sweating, pigs of human beings in airconditionless subway cars. Really, it takes a lot to make my skin crawl. However, this put me over the edge.
- NYPD Flaunts $32,881 Salary?: (August 2008) Is the NYPD really flaunting the new starting salary for recruits? It’s $32,881. Where in Manhattan can you live for $32k a year? Hell, it hard to make ends meet with twice that.
- Russian Girl Gets Smacked in the Face on Subway: (June 2008) Video of Russian girl getting smacked.
- Bed Bugs Attack Subway: (May 2008) As if we don’t have enough things to dodge in the subway, like homeless bums. Now we have to watch out for bed bugs.
I’d like to thank everyone for supporting SUBWAYblogger over the last three years. YOU are why we keep this site going, and we love your comments. Here’s to keeping our jobs and having a happy 2009!